UO:Renaissance Launcher

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Quick, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

[​IMG]

Quick Start:

Download:

http://uorenaissance.com/downloads/launcher/UORLauncherSetup.exe

Guide:

http://www.uorenaissance.com/downloads/launcher/guide/

How does it work?

The launcher is designed to simplify not only the installation process, but allow updates to the client files to be provided without requiring a full package download each time. It attempts to maintain a replica of a remote "gold copy" of all the files/folders that are known to be in a good state and run with no issues.

When you click Install or Update, the launcher makes a request to the UOR server to get information on the latest client version, including all files, checksums and some other settings. The launcher will scan your whole UOR folder, check if the file exists, perform a checksum on file if it does. If it detects that you are running an outdated or corrupt version of the client files or the file is just missing all together, it will queue those up and download.

It will also ensure that all settings/config files are always accurate each time you launch the game by reading the config files and making any corrections before launching the game.

What's different than the official package on http://www.uorenaissance.com?

The launcher will download the full UO Renaissance package with the following changes compared to the package today:
    • Default install path is C:\UORenaissance
      • The official package uses C:\Ultima Online, which means you can test this out without touching your existing UOR install)
    • Includes both the standard OSI client and the open source ClassicUO client
      • Supports both the beta version and the developer preview version of ClassicUO
    • Includes both versions of Razor
      • Razor UO:R Community Edition 1.5.0.16 for OSI client -- also comes configured to run as admin with WinXP SP2 as required and checks each time before launching
      • Razor UO:R Community Edition for ClassicUO
    • Updated UO music files based on the original composers intended
    • The banner dynamically updates with news items without requiring an update.
    • Plays one of the best musical compositions ever created for a game while open

How to install/update?

NOTE: Using this launcher will not touch or alter your existing version of UO:R. This install is completely separate.
    For a full installation guide, please visit:

http://www.uorenaissance.com/downloads/launcher/guide/install/windows

EDIT 10/17/2020: Updated to reflect the current state of the launcher
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Fancy. Can it launch CUB?
    just kidding pal, looks great. You should have worked for OSI.
  3. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I can't seem to get the checkbox to work right.
  4. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Looks great, any plans for a Mac version for the Mac players?
    Kiryana likes this.
  5. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

That's one of the long term goals but probably not something that will be happening any time soon.

ClassicUO works natively on Mac, but with Razor it does not unless:
    1. A Mac developer takes SDL2 and builds it for x86, then builds Razor in x86 or..
    2. Someone takes one of fork's of Mono and expands System.Windows.Forms to work in x64
    Note, ClassicUO and Razor work in Linux since Mono on Linux supports WinForms in x64
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Kiryana and Xavant_BR like this.
  6. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks for replying man.
  7. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

@Quick i used the installer since I never could get classic UO to install on its own, and everything seems to work pretty good! Is it possible though, to have Razor icon show up in the bottom right corner as it normally does if you use it stand alone? It would be more convenient I think, rather than having to guess which tab razor is in.
    Quick likes this.
  8. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

Nice, glad you got it installed.

You can move Razor to systray or taskbar in the General tab. It will require a restart of Razor though.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  9. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member

If you have modified some art files or done some of the legal client mods (big regs, small dragons, etc.) will the launcher "fix" those files and return them to the originals?
  10. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

Yep, good point.

If you edit your files outside of the launcher, it will see that the file(s) no longer match the hash and will download them again. In that scenario, you'd want to download via the launcher, close out, edit your files, and launch UO via a shortcut from C:\UORenaissance.
    Leopold likes this.
  11. shad

shad Well-Known Member

Awesome works! WOW o_O
    Updating atm!!!
    Quick likes this.
  12. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member

This is awesome! Thank you so much for your hard work!

I don't know how many people run Razor from a cloud synchronized folder, but I do. I also run a script that uses 7zip to make a backup of my UO client config for the last x number of rdays and obocopy to sync my UO Client config to my cloud folder. I also run UOAM from my cloud drive.

This makes my entire UO config portable to any workstation that I play from.

So here is my question. Is it possible to configure the launcher to launch Razor from a customized directory?

Also, have you thought of syncing to a custom folder and/or backing up the UO client config?

I can't tell you how fantastic it is to be able to uninstall/reinstall and move to any computer and not have to spend time setting things up and reconfiguring things.
    Kiryana and Quick like this.
  13. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed your message somehow. Interesting use-case. If I understand correctly, you want to install the game locally, but keep Razor on a cloud drive?

At the moment, the launcher and the functionality assumes Razor is within the structure of the C:\UORenaissance folder and not in a custom folder. Now, you could change the default install folder to your cloud drive, so that UOR is completely on there and then your other devices sync up not only your in-game settings/macros, but all your Razor profiles and macros.

That all said, I'm adding a feature that lets you back up all game settings, I can look at seeing how allowing someone to define a custom Razor folder will work.

Thanks for testing it out!
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Kiryana likes this.
  14. r3ckon3r

r3ckon3r Well-Known Member

This is profoundly epic. Sheer admiration for your hard work and dedication.
    Quick likes this.
  15. shad

shad Well-Known Member

If you guys run 3 clients at the same time and you experiment too much cpu load (even with the fps drop option), choose the « preview » option in «settings » of the launcher.
    My cpu throttle at 44celcius now instead 66!
    Great works @Quick :)
    Quick likes this.
  16. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Did this yesterday.
    • How was the install experience? Was it quick and did the app start running? Great.
    • If you didn't have .NET Framework 4.7 installed, what was your experience? Did the installer download and install it for you? Did you have to reboot? N/A
    • When you installed, how long did it take? Took < 5 minutes from download to playing
    • After install, were you able to launch either the standard OSI client or ClassicUO and connect without issue? Yes to both
    • Places that you remember seeing black tiles, are they cleared up? NA
    • Could you connect to Test and Live using the OSI client and Razor and ClassicUO? Yes
    • And other ways you can think a user might break their install. IIRC, when you first download the client and you get the GUI with the large red "Enter Britannia" - my first instinct and Im sure others was to press the red button. I didn't, but I almost went for it rather than hit the Install tab. I almost didnt even see the "Install" tab because I've been ignoring those tabs for so many years.
    • Also- The "News" & "Settings" buttons don't intuitively suggest that they're clickable. Maybe have them displayed on a raised "button".
    Those are literally the only things I could come up with as far as constructive criticism and even I think theyre not issues. I'm only mentioning them because you asked for feedback.

Thanks so very much for breathing new life into an ancient and glorious game.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Kiryana, PaddyOBrien, eherruh and 2 others like this.
  17. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, this is extremely helpful. If you had clicked "Enter Britannia" it would have also kicked off the Install process, so that angle is covered.

I'll look into seeing if I can make News & Settings pop a bit more. Thanks again!
    shad likes this.
  18. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

• Which version of Windows are you on?
    Windows 7 SP1
    • How was the install experience? Was it quick and did the app start running?
    Smooth! No issues at all, It would be nice to be able to pick installation folder, but this is not an issue.
    • If you didn't have .NET Framework 4.7 installed, what was your experience? Did the installer download and install it for you? Did you have to reboot?
    I think I already had it, I clicked install and went AFK, when I was back, downlad was completed and ready to play.
    • When you installed, how long did it take?
    Just a few minutes.
    • After install, were you able to launch either the standard OSI client or ClassicUO and connect without issue?
    Yes both, no issues.
    • Places that you remember seeing black tiles, are they cleared up?
    N/A
    • Could you connect to Test and Live using the OSI client and Razor and ClassicUO?
    OSI Client, Yes, but I found this error with a particular account, It works normally with my old install with Razor 1.0.1.14.9.
    upload_2019-11-26_14-45-54.png

ClassicUO Yes, both
    • And other ways you can think a user might break their install.
    Another 3 things I noted,
    1) When I click at Launcher banner or moving banner it takes me to Discord link (is this intended?) The Discord button does not work. Checked 2nd time and now it works.
    2) The test seleccition at "Settings" only works of ClassicUO, An improvment could be: Disable/Grey out it when you click "Use Standard OSI Client with Razor".
    3) Different on top window with this options:

upload_2019-11-26_14-54-19.png
    Makes CUO open behind Launcher.
    upload_2019-11-26_14-54-2.png
    Makes CUO open on top of Launcher.

All looks awesome! I hope some of this things I noted help in some way.

Cheers
    Quick likes this.
  19. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

This is great info, all your feedback will be incorporated into the next update, thank you!
  20. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member

Thank you for making this! A backup feature will be so helpful to lots of people. Are you going to include the UO client desktop folder in the backup too?

In the meantime I've adapted my previous launcher script to use robocopy in the background to keep the UORenaissance\Razor profiles and macros directories in sync with my Google drive uo folder. :)
    Quick likes this.