Tinker trapped boxes?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Fuji Flu, Aug 22, 2016.

1. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

If i'm not mistaken, you can also chop the box and set off the trap. One thing I wanted to test but never got around to doing it was trapping and arming boxes, then seeing if they explode when monsters/animals step over and break them.

I doubt the changes will ever happen because of the potential griefing aspect of it, however, MOST people get the idea after blowing themselves up a few times to be careful with strange appealing boxes (sometimes dyed pink in another shard! ;)) laid around town. Kids these days man, they aren't gonna grow up experiencing the heartbreak and hilarity of finding a box in town loaded with potential goodies, only to blow themseves up to the amusement of all. "*BOOM* UUUAHHHHHHGGGH" :D
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I agree that the T2A-style tinker trapped boxes can be heavily exploited for griefing purposes, especially against newer players that don't understand the mechanics as well as some of our vets. This can lead to an immense amount of frustration as most newer players will be instantly killed with no knowledge of how it happened.

However at this point, the current trap system is nigh-useless, there are only a few potential applications of the current tinker system and none of them are practical with the current housing system (T2A/UOR hybrid).

My suggestion would be to apply the T2A ruleset for tinker boxes, but make them unusable by "Young" players, and remove the no-count perk if the trap is placed in a house that you're friended to/own, meaning that your tinker would take a count for every player killed.

Ultimately this won't create a huge change (Players will just create a new tinker and leave him in the middle of a Fort while being completely safe), but it would serve as a deterrent to just pumping out chests on a blue tinker and running around Ocllo killing newbies. It would also force players to leave one of their characters completely stranded/in statloss if they choose to abuse it, while this may not seem like a big issue, it's only because UO:R allows 3 accounts so punishing one character is always going to be hard when the player has 14 others to use.
  3. napo

napo Well-Known Member

never going to work here
    killing people with trapped boxes is for some reason considered griefing, even though trapped boxes are intended to kill people

in my day you learned real quick to be careful with boxes laying around randomly
    what is even the point of trapped boxes if killing people with them is griefing?
    As you can see, actually getting one to explode on this server is so difficult that five of you can't even figure it out.
    RavenMagi and The Crooked Warden like this.
  4. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You ever try lockpicking a box that someone has locked down in their house? You cant
  5. PaddyOBrien

I thought you could if you stand next to it?
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

B: Step aside citizen! Bomb Squad is here!

C: Oh, thank goodness! This chest appears to be trapped and could go off any second! The whole area is in danger.

B: Not to worry... I am a master at trap removal!

C: Oh? You are a Grand Master remover of traps?! Glad an expert is here for such dangerous and delicate work!

B: Silly citizen... stand back!

* steps directly in front of chest*
    * smashes with hatchet*

C: What the?

B: My job here is done!

C: You mean any one of us coulda done that this whole time?

* a tinker spits on the ground *

T: I quit!
    Savage and One like this.
  7. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

tinker chests would blow up in era killing the person who axed them, so there is that
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    RavenMagi, Savage and Christoph Brock like this.
  9. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Depends on how you count. I've had one red die to it over and over. You'd think at some point he'd learn, but he never does.

Yes, let people give counts by snooping me, and if you fix that: by looting my thief protection from my corpse.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Thieves cannot give murder counts so there's no need to worry about that.

You'd only encounter the above issue if someone is snooping without being in the thieves guild... but honestly that happens very rarely.
  11. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

If people knew you carried trapped boxes from a blue tinkerer they would go out of their way to do it.
    Radish likes this.
  12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Toss it under some newbied clothes, problem solved!
  13. Radish

Radish Member

I loved trolling people with these on OSI. You had to trap the box on the ground to avoid a count, then leave it for some blue to open. Once the blue dies, you then have to wait for someone to loot them and call GUARDS. It's the 2nd and 3rd victim that matters and they should know not to loot blue corpses anyway. It would probably be easy to shelter [young] players from this too.

People still have an undeserved sense of security here. Lets take a small part of that away.
  14. Radish

Radish Member

You'd still go gray and get guardwacked if still in town. Self defense shouldn't be criminal! Not even when the best defense is a strong offense.
  15. PaddyOBrien

I remember the thrill of leaving a trapped box in my pack, getting pk'd and watching as a ghost when the pk stupidly blew himself up on it :D That was either on osi or a free shard, can't remember but it was hilarious
  16. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

On my last shard I carried a rune and key to a house with trapped boxes.
  17. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

If people care about newbs so much, then they should let them learn how the game works without coddling them.

"Learning occurs only after repetitive demoralizing failures." --Pat Rogers
    Radish and PaddyOBrien like this.
  18. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Unless this has changed in the past year, you can. I had hundreds of sets of barbed leather stolen from my house this way. I even wrote a story about it: http://uorforum.com/threads/a-cat-burglard.11320/
  19. Fuji Flu

Fuji Flu Active Member

has this changed?

someone was killed today with a trapped chest.
    PaddyOBrien and Christoph Brock like this.
  20. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Well-Known Member

Did they axe it or lockpick it?

As far as I know those are the only two ways a person is going to get blown up by one of those chests (they can kill you depending on HPs, at least on test server they can).