Wrestling on a mage = stupid?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Hasskappe, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Hasskappe

Hasskappe New Member

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something but for me it looks like having wrestling on a mage is completely stupid. I mean every mage has eval int, right? So why not just add anatomy? Sure you can get wrestling for disarm but I've never seen a disarm mage tbh. Do I miss something?
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Stun punch needs wrestling too
  3. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

10+ year old server and the most popular pvp mage templates have wrestling on them. You're definitely missing something!
  4. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

Chance to be hit by an enemy melee attack will check their melee skill against yours. If you run around with 0 wrestling, and you fight against a dexer or a mob with melee attacks, you will be hit very very often. Even against another mage with wrestling you will be interrupted often.

I suppose there are templates you could try in pvm without it. But. Even there, getting hit often would be a problem.

There are disarm mages, yes.

So yep, you are missing something.
  5. Hasskappe

Hasskappe New Member

Wait, the whole point of having eval+anatomy always was that it was counting towards your defence (like wrestling). So the combo isn't working on this server?

Edit: I checked stratics again to see if I'm completely braindead:

DCI modifies your CHANGE TO DODGE against someone whos taking a swing at you.

HCI modifies your CHANCE TO HIT when you are attempting to hit someone with a swing.

The Hit Chance modifier is further increased by the attacker's Hit Chance Increase item modifier and decreased by the defender's Defense Chance Increase item modifier, both of which are capped at 45%.

Your weapon skill AND the opponents weapon skill determines your CHANCE TO HIT/CHANCE TO DODGE and HCI/DCI mods modify the your raw chance to hit and chance to dodge.

HCI WORKS on Eval Anat (the proper name is DEFENSIVE WRESTLING btw) if DW gave you an OFFENSIVE CHANCE TO HIT. But it doesnt thus called DEFENSIVE WRESTLING. Your base 2% chance to hit someone modified by 45 hci (2*1.45=2.9) gives you 2.9% chance to hit.

DW gives you the DEFENSIVE/DODGE part of wrestling skill which again directly compares your attackers weapon skill and give you a CHANCE to dodge an attack. Thus if you have 50% chance to dodge an attack with 45DCI it gives you (50*1.45)= 72.5% chance to dodge.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  6. Hasskappe

Hasskappe New Member

Of course this is true, if you want to stun or disarm there is no way without wrestling.
  7. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Stratics to UOR is apples and oranges. Not a good source to apply for templates, combinations, etc... there's still some similarities, but I wouldn't assume anything matches up between the two. Discord is gonna be your best bet to ask for information, otherwise you can dig for it through the forums. Forums don't get a whole lot of replies anymore though.
  8. Hasskappe

Hasskappe New Member

I'm somewhat confused now tbh. because all the servers I've played so far were pretty close if not 1:1 with stratics. Well I think I'll do it the old way - make a gm wrestler and a gm eval+ana and let the two fight each other just to make sure how things work over here.^^

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
  9. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

Defensive wrestling is a thing here, so yeah you could do that. If its for pvp, its only really practical on a dexer mage hybrid. Otherwise, keep wrestle, and go stun mage.

There aren't items here that modify those chances.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  10. Hasskappe

Hasskappe New Member

That's a nice piece of information. Thank you! :)