Fast track guide to taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Upgrayedd, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

For PvM and farming, the tamer is the most powerful build in the game. Taming has a reputation for being tedious and lengthy, but it doesn't have to be that way. Here at UOR we're able to have up to three accounts, which streamlines the process. Using the right tricks in the right places you can have GM taming and lore in under three days if you get some help and do a lot of manual work or in a couple of weeks if you do everything afk.

Template
    The base template is animal taming, animal lore, veterinary, magery, and meditation. The final 2 skills really depend on how you plan to use the character. The classic tamer would fill those last slots with wrestling and magic resist, which makes for a more durable, easy-to-run character.

Starting Out
    Taming is one of the more time consuming skills to train, so it's a good idea to start your new character with 50 taming. Magery should be your second skill (unless you're planning to do provocation). 50 magery will at least let you make use of the recall spell to ease moving about. Keep in mind that this character won't be usable until you have both taming and magery in the 90's. Next, get your stats right - 90-100 strength, 25-40 dexterity, and 90-100 intelligence.

* ProTip: Create an alternate throw-away character with 50 provocation and 50 healing. Buy music and anatomy from the NPCs. Train up music (GM is perfect) and anatomy (if you have time). This can have a big impact later on, even if you don't plan to retain those skills in your final tamer build. All of these skills are essentially free as they just take time. For more details, see my fast track guide to a provoke mage.

Taming Theory
    The best taming gains come from picking the right critter for your skill level and maximizing the number of taming attempts. Every type of tamable critter has a minimum skill needed to attempt to tame it. Each taming attempt has a chance to gain skill, regardless of if the animal is actually tamed. Taming something above your taming skill is impossible and taming something way below your taming skill is too easy. The sweet spot is to work on critters that you are just barely able to tame.

For example, you need at least 53.1 taming in order to tame a snow leopard. If you have less than 53.1 taming, then you will have no chance to tame it and no chance to gain taming skill. On the other hand, if you have 90 taming and try taming that same snow leopard, then you will tame it on the first try and, because it is so easy, you will have no chance to gain. So, if your taming skill is 53.2, that's the perfect time to work on snow leopards.

* ProTip: Make use of "pre-tames". Each time a critter is tamed, it's minimum skill goes up by 6 points for the next tamer.

The second part of the equation is maximizing the number of taming attempts. Most skills can be trained just by standing in one place and doing the same actions over and over; taming requires a continuous stream of new critters. While you could run around trying to find critters to tame, this is inefficient as it ends up wasting a lot of time looking for new stuff to tame. It's much faster to leave your tamer parked with a macro running and use a second character to round up new critters for the tamer to work on.

* ProTip: make a alternate throw-away character with 50 hiding and 50 herding and train up both (herding especially). This will be helpful once you start working bulls.

What to Tame?
    The following are "displayed" skills meaning they start with "real" skill and add points based on your stats in str/dex/int. As taming is heavily influenced by intelligence, a "real" or "base" of 30.0 taming equates to a "displayed" value of 42.9 at 100 intelligence.

[​IMG]

50.0 - 65.1: Dagger Isle
    While it's certainly possible to run around this island using your tamer, your best bet is to ask around to see if someone will co-own you to a house here or let you borrow a boat. Using a house or boat lets you run a macro that attacks the critters to keep them near while not letting them get close enough to actually hit you. It also allows you to use a second character to track down more critters for your tamer to work on. You will want one or two aggressive, non-casting critters (Frost Troll, Giant Serpent or Orcs...NO Snow Elementals) trying to attack the tamer as well. These will be your cleaning crew as they will quickly kill off anything you tame and open up the chance for more spawn.

* ProTip: To get to Dagger Isle on your own, find the nearest rune library and hit the Shrine of Honesty or the entrance to the dungeon Deceit. That shrine in the middle of the island can also resurrect you if you happen to die.

[​IMG]

50 - 53.1: Macro for Polar Bears and Walrus
    Plant your tamer in the safe spot and start running this macro. It will attempt to tame any nearby Polar Bear or Walrus and then attack the same last target (to keep them close). Now use a second character to run around attacking every polar bear/walrus you can find and lead them over to your tamer. Have your second character hide/invis/run off the screen and the critters will head towards the tamer. You can also manually attack using your tamer.

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|35
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|213
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.6000000
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1395|
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|221

How to copy and paste a macro

[​IMG]

53.1 - 65.1: Macro for Snow Leopards
    Once you reach 53.1, it's time to move up to Snow Leopards. While you could still get some gains off polar bears/walruses, the gains will be much faster using snow leopards. At first you will want to stick to "virgin" tames that still have their original names as anything that is renamed will now have a difficulty of at least 59.1 from being re-tamed.

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|64
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|65

65.1 - 71.1: Macro for White Wolves
    White wolves are the last critter at Dagger Isle and a major stepping stone towards GM taming. Renamed wolves won't be of any use until you hit 71.1 either.

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|34
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|37

71.1 - 85.5: Jhelom Bulls
    Congrats, you made it off Dagger Isle! You can readjust the contrast on your monitor. Head to Jhelom and use the teleporters in the middle of town to get to the north island. Setup your tamer on the outside of the fence and about one screen away from the entrance to the pen (any closer and the critters will pathfind to attack you). Next, use a second character to lure a giant serpent from the jungles to the north. Put the serp inside the pen and let it agro on your tamer--this is your new cleaning crew. (Silver serpents work too, but watch out--they are quick.)

[​IMG]

71.1 - 85.5: Macro for Jehlom Bulls
    The macro below works much the same as the Dagger Isle macros, but with a twist--it will first attempt to tame bulls and if no bulls are near then it will use great harts (59.1). Just like with Dagger, use your alternate character to pull critters for your tamer.

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|232
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|233
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|234

[​IMG]

* ProTip: If you have a character with a bit of hiding and herding, you can set it up in the middle of the pen and have it herd bulls toward your tamer. This can be used entirely AFK. Some people GM taming off this (but it's slow).

Jhelom Retaming
    This is a popular spot and you may find other tamers leveling up. Needless to say, it's bad form to pull bulls away from another active tamer. If one pen is being used, setup in the other pen. If they are both busy, you could try the bulls north of Delucia.

But, the best bet is to team up! Remember each time a critter is tamed it's difficulty increases by 6 points for the next tamer. So the bull that starts out at 71.1 increases to 77.1 for the next tamer and 83.1 for the third and so on. Each time a bull is tamed it opens up the slot for another new bull to be spawned. Working as a team you can take advantage of this.

For example:
    71.1: Tamer AA tames the virgin bulls, leads them south into the houses, renames them to AA and releases them.
    77.1: Tamer BB tames the bulls for a 2nd time in the houses, renames them BB and releases them.
    83.1: Tamer CC tames the ones named BB, renames them CC and either releases them or team up and slaughter them all for the leather.

With some good teamwork, you can ride bulls all the way to GM!

85.5 - GM: Hythloth
    If you can't find anyone to team up with or just want to go on your own, hell hounds are your new best friend. While you could certainly head down into Hylthloth and tame hounds one at a time, this will quickly become tedious. Hell hounds have a breath attack. Also, they work as a pack--when one attacks, the others nearby will attack too. In Hythloth there are no handy fences to work from, so you have to build your own barricade--using orcs!

[​IMG]

You will need a healer for this--50 healing, 50 anatomy is fine. This is just to heal the fire breath and few hounds that actually reach your tamer.

You will also need a character with music/provocation. 80-100 music and 50+ provocation is fine (higher provocation makes setting up easier). These skills can be on your tamer or your healer (above) or another alternate character.

First, find the orc mage and gargoyle on this level and lead them both way north and into the hallway with the teleporters. You want these guys way out of the way.

[​IMG]

Next, clear the room of everything but 2 regular orcs. Setup your tamer as shown in this pic.

[​IMG]

Wrangle the orcs so they are positioned on either side of the tamer and have your healer/provoker stand on top of the tamer. Here's the trick now: provoke the 2 orcs against each other (it may take a few tries if you have low provocation). Once the two orcs are provoked, you have your barricade. The orcs will stay provoked as long as the character who provoked them is present. Get your healer working continuously (including healing himself), start the taming macro below and wait for the hounds to respawn.

The macro will keep the hounds firebreath focused on the tamer. The orcs/ettin/serp will kill off all your tames. The orcs will even loot your kills, so be sure to clean them up when you're done.

85.5 - GM: Macro for Hell Hounds

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|98

* ProTip: If you have a character with a bit of hiding and herding, you can set it up in the middle of the room and have it herd hounds toward your tamer. This can be used entirely AFK.

At some point you will tame up all the hounds near you. It's time to break out another character to pull in more hounds. There's another room full of hounds to the west. Good luck!

For reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next Steps?
    Pet Bonding:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2175

Nightmare Spawn Locations:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2016
    r3ckon3r, Yukon Jack, Kiryana and 8 others like this.
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Great guide, almost makes me want to get off my lazy ass and finish taming on my bard.
    Yukon Jack likes this.
  3. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I wish you would have told me you were making this you could have used my illustration from when i tried to explain the provo technique

[​IMG]
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Upgrayedd

Renaissance Volunteers

Thanks Tater. I'll be sure to hit you up next time high end artwork is required.
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  6. Phyze

Phyze Member

+1 to the guide. Works extremely well.

Also +2 to Tater's awesome drawing.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

So is it best to gm animal lore before or after you start taming?
  8. Upgrayedd

Renaissance Volunteers

Don't even bother working animal lore; just have the skill pointing up. As you train animal taming, lore will increase much faster than taming.
  9. Klaus

Klaus Member

Sweet guide, but i'm glad tater added his illustration for further clarity.
    Yukon Jack likes this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

I've been trying to work the boat method but it seems that it'd be faster to just run around the island taming than to lure them back to the boat. Maybe I'm not doing it the right way, but it's taking a long time to lure them in.
    Sheepdog and Cherie like this.
  11. Upgrayedd

Renaissance Volunteers

Leave your tamer in one place and use a 2nd character to round up critters. The spawn on Dagger Isle was recently reworked, but it looks about the same. If you place your house/boat near the indicated spot, you should be able to round up critters from over half the island which will keep your tamer constantly taming.
  12. Upgrayedd

Renaissance Volunteers

Added nighmare spawns and control requirements for transfers
  13. DocHoliday

DocHoliday New Member

Not sure how I messed this up. I'm trying to run the macro for the snow leopards. It worked at first, but now it was saying something like "no creatures of that type can be seen". What did I do wrong? Lol, thanks.
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Hey DocHoliday. It's possible that there is more than one type of Snow Leopard even though they look the same. I may be mistaken and someone may come in and know the right response, but in the meantime, try resetting the target type to whatever snow leopards you currently see.
  15. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You're correct - there is actually multiple types of snow leapords (they have different monster ID numbers).

When you get there, bulls do too.
  16. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

May as well offer my .02 on this topic.

Given the setup time to do Hell Hounds in the dungeon, I think it's a better bet to just stick with bulls from 85 to GM. I got to 95.0 taming very quickly with bulls; from there it slowed significantly, but given how quickly you can recover from griefers, I would bet it's the superior way to GM animal taming. I stopped bulls around 98.7 displayed skill, and am just going to let it GM naturally as I tame dragons, white wyrms, and nightmares.
  17. DocHoliday

DocHoliday New Member

Thanks a lot. I will try this.
  18. Upgrayedd

Renaissance Volunteers

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like the recent changes to spawning at Dagger Isle have created a second type of Snow Leopard. Macro for Snow Leopards updated to include both types.
  19. DocHoliday

DocHoliday New Member

The macro newb strikes again! So I figured out my last problem with this macro thanks to some feedback, and figured I'd look to you all for another problem I'm having. For some reason I can't get hardly any tame gains while using this method from the boat. I'm still within the skill range for snow leopards, but I only get gains from the first animal. Once it is tamed and my troll kills it, I can't tame, or get any animal tame gains from the other leopards. My animal lore has been raising steadily but nothing from tame. Any ideas?
  20. Upgrayedd

Renaissance Volunteers

When the macro is running, there should be a wall of text going by. If you're not seeing the macro continually attempt to tame critters, something else is going on. Try turning on the "new targeting system" so you can see the macro constantly shifting targets (Alt-O, mouse tab, uncheck "disable new targeting system".