Census: Sigil Timers

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Liberation, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

Feel free to offer your opinion(s) on any of the following items:

How long sigils take to corrupt when on base monoliths.
    How long sigils take to reset when a faction steals them from another faction's monoliths and places on their monoliths.
    How long sigils take to reset when someone is carrying them.
    How long cities are owned for, once captured.
  2. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

To corrupt a sigil on your monolith my vote is for 5 - 6 hours
    To reset a sigil the timer should be kept at 30 minutes.
    A sigil may be carried for 15 minutes
    Finally I feel cities should be controlled for 60 hours. By having the timer set at 2 and a half days it will change the time when the sigils can be stolen again. I feel this is appropriate because if you are working when the sigils go up the next time they are available will be 12 hours on the opposite side of the clock.
    ebola likes this.
  3. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I'm not thinking exact numbers, but I think the time to guard them should be shorter, and the time you hold the cities longer.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I think the shorter the length of a capture is the more trivialized it is. If town capture only lasts a day or two, then there's less incentive to put up a fight over them. It already feels a bit like this at times.

The shorter the amount of time required to hold onto the sigils in order to corrupt them, the easier it is to ninja them and avoid combat altogether.

So if anything I'm in favor of longer times to corruption and longer periods of capture. Even if this was a full week I think it would be fitting.

With that I think there should be a longer time needed to interrupt corruption.

And as bart mentioned above, the time you can hold a sigil before it returns to a base should be shorter, imo. Last I knew it was an hour, and I think it should not be much longer than it takes to run from the furthest base to the furthest base + some amount of time that might be given for a skirmish. Like 20 minutes total. More than 30 is too long.
  5. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I do agree that being able to hold the sigil for 1 hour is too long. I'd say 30 minutes would be sufficient time to get a sigil to a base, even if you get caught up in (or avoiding) a big fight.
  6. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Currently the grace period for averting corruption interruption is 30 minutes, however it should be noted that holding a sigil on your person once taken from an enemy stronghold does not count towards the corruption override time. This timer only starts once the sigil has been placed upon the proper monolith within the respective faction's stronghold.

Just to clarify, i'm not sure if this was understood or not given the context in this thread.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I agree on longer city control times but as it stands, 7 hour corruption time is difficult enough with the amount of active factioners we have. I'd prefer 7 days of town control for the effort of committing myself or my teammates to 7 hours of straight sigil guarding.

Hard to say what's best but I definitely feel like sometimes it's not worth the trouble for 3 days of town control.
  8. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

Yeah, i think a week of control would be good.

I mean, let's say you steal the sigils from me, but it's like 1am. I'll be like "meh, i'll just get it back in 3 days. They can have it"

If the city control was longer, I might not give up so easily.

That 7 hour timer feels like forever, but that 3 day period just flies by. It's totally doesn't feel worth it to take the time to strategize and steal the sigils back and or hold them.

I'd say a good time for guarding the sigils would be between 4-5 hrs. Any less than 4 hours and it's just too easy.
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Honestly it should be a random timer within a max of 7 hours. This would encourage defenders to stay put and those on the offensive to keep pressing.

Making the timer random would avoid the overnight thefts when people are sleeping. Keep the battles going! How about a limit of 1 town capture per faction per hour? Right now it seems you control all towns or none, this is because all the sigils are guarded in 1 battle (or none) and then that's it. You make a restriction that a faction can only capture 1 town per hour then they have no choice but to continue guarding the other sigils, continuing the fight!
  10. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

Not sure how i feel about the 2nd part, but the random timer is brilliant. I love that idea!
  11. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

These ideas are big changes but I think they are pretty good solutions.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Towns should be re-capturable at random too. Starting from town control at 1 day to a max of 7 days.

You want factions to be a continuous battle for control. Game of thrones-esq. I can capture Britain (for example) tonight, and it could be ready for recap tomorrow or anytime within the week. This prevents factions from what it currently is now: Big fight (or none at all) one night, then 2 nights later repeat (maybe).

Factions should be something you have to stay involved in daily, those of us who mainly play to PvP would benefit from the constant action. Those weekend warrios can also log on to find a fight of some sort.
    ebola likes this.
  13. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I don't like this idea, but I'll admit that it's because that would make it harder for me to juggle activity in both C^V and factions. If you're a full-time factioner, I can see why this would be desireable, but not everyone is. This would basically force you to be a full-time faction warrior, or else you lose cities. You should be able to be a regular player and a factioner at the same time, and be successful.

I feel that this idea would stunt the growth of factions on the server, which we don't need to do.
  14. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Quite impressed with this idea. Big change, but clever.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I think the purified time could be random but not by a whole day, maybe 5 hours early or later, that would be enough randomization but not enough to piss off someone who only had a town for 2 days but the other towns hold for a full 7.

I always felt there should be more to sigils than just a simple thief steal, maybe if there are guards in a town, they HAVE to be killed to make the sigil stealable. That way faction guards have a purpose for once in their lives.
  16. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

it sounds like there's general agreement so far on randomization of the corruption timer.

for example a 20% randomization would work out to a range of (5 hours 36 minutes - 8.4 hours 24 minutes ).
    alternatively, we can cap corruption at 7 hours and use that same range, e.g. (5 hours 36 minutes - 7 hours).

reasonable objections?

if we used either of these methods on the purification timer, we would have either:

(2 days 9 hours 36 minutes - 3 days 12 hours 24 minutes) [full range]
    or (2 days 9 hours 36 minutes - 3 days) [range w/cap]
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

1. Extend time faction controls a town.
    2. When a sigil is stolen from the monolith, that town becomes neutral - nobody is in control of said town. Temporarily removes some problems from 2-3 other faction threads that were recently posted. This would not have changed how the fight went down the other night because Minax had already captured that town.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Disagree. The controlling faction should have their window of opportunity to not let control be taken so easily. The implications of this are far reaching, considering they could have guards and traps in town that took time and resources to place and those would what, disappear? No thanks.
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

The town is purified, and should no longer be in control of ANY faction. Yes, you place them down and use them for 3-4 days and once the sigil is taken they disappear, you had plenty of time to get your stuff done before the town has been purified, you no longer control it, the sigil is not corrupted. Spend 7 hours recapturing it and re-place the traps/guards if you wish.
  20. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

No thanks. It costs silved, and a lot of it, each time you place guards/vendors. If you control a town consecutively there shouldn't be a penalty, i.e. replacing npcs.