A "Young's" Guide to Animal Taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Methuselah, Mar 16, 2014.

1. sianlang

sianlang New Member

Hi all may i know where does the greater mongbat spawn now as i couldnt find it at the location stated in this guide.
  2. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

it's in a room NW of the snakes and W of the undead in the sewers, pictured in Bran's post on page 2
  3. sianlang

sianlang New Member

upload_2015-12-3_23-42-57.png
    Thanks for the reply Puck. Been there killed afew normal mongbats but still no spawn.
  4. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

is the greater mongbat gone?! onoes.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Discover something interesting and want to see it eliminated?

Write a guide!
    Bamilus likes this.
  6. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

A lot of changes have happened since this guide was made.

It was deemed too easy to get gm taming in young areas.

If you want advice on taming, highly recommend going on irc and asking there.
  7. nobigdeal27

nobigdeal27 New Member

Can you gain Taming skill if you fail to tame the creature? I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or not...
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Yes you can.

If you want to use in game resources only, try animal lore on several different types of creatures. Look at their abilities (skills).
    This will give you a good idea s to the likeliness that the animal will succumb to your present skill in animal taming.

If you want to dash immersion to the side and fast track to GM, hit up this grid <spoilers man... spoilers>

The first column is minimum skill needed to tame.
    IF THE creature was previously tamed and released by someone else without changing the name of the creature, its difficulty raises by 6 skill points and could be out of your natural range without you knowing it. You could tame and tame and tame with no gains.

G'luck
  9. nobigdeal27

nobigdeal27 New Member

Thanks! One other question. In these grids like the one you mentioned and the one in this guide, are those numbers for Real Skill or the adjusted numbers? I'm only at 50.8 real taming and 59.9 adjusted, and it seems like it's going painfully slow.
  10. nobigdeal27

nobigdeal27 New Member

Have there been any updates to how to do this recently? It seems like a lot of the ways to get taming up in Ocllo have changed, i.e. can't tame the drake, and that spider doesn't seem to spawn near the ratmen anymore. I've been running around the island at around mid 60s taming, trying to find bears, panthers, harts etc. for hours, and it seems like it's going so slow. Am I doing this right?
  11. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Puck likes this.
  12. Maoh

Maoh Member

Something to note, the giant spider no longer spawns near the ratmen. However snakes in the sewer work just fine and spawn rather quickly.
  13. Blight

Blight New Member

Such a great guide, and so outdated. Allow me to change this.

Character Build
    Skills: 50 Taming, 50 Magery (mandatory)
    Stats: 59 Str, 10 Int, 11 Dex (suggested)

wylwrk shared with us
    List of tameables

Keep in mind:
    - When you order you pet to kill something, it's an agression and if your pet dies, you'll be next target. So, never order your pets to kill, just allow them to be targeted and killed by agressive creatures.
    - While working on animal taming, i recommend ignore all other skills with only exeption of musicianship. You can use it while taming, and it will not require restock or any other waiting time. No vet, no magery, no (need for) animal lore. Just taming.
    - You will gain from failures, so it's optimal to start taming new possible animal the moment you have enough skill.

Phase 1
    A lot of running around, but relatively fast. Target is 59.1 of taming.
    In the forest of Ocllo you'll tame
    Hind
    Timber Wolves
    Black Bears
    Brown Bears
    Cougars

Once you'll geto to 53.1, you can add
    Grey Wolves
    Panthers

In sewers you have only 3 options,
    Giant rats
    Bullfrogs
    Slime
    While they have low requirements to tame, there are a lot of them in relatively small area, and it's easy to get rid of tamed animals after successfull taming, so they work just fine.

Just run around the island and tame everything you can. Gains will be fast, most difficult part is to take care of tamed animals. Looks like if you tame and release them, new animals will not respawn, and you can't be sure if there is another tamer for re-tame attempts. So, you need to kill tamed animals either by making them fight each other or by bringing them to orcs/pirates. It's simplier in sewers, once tamed your animal will be under attack of nearest creatures since almost all of them are agressive.

Phase 2
    Now, this part is worst. I couldn't find other way to get to 71.1 other than keep taming everything. Good thing is, now you can tame snakes in the sewers and great harts in the forest. There are a lot of snakes and harts compared to all other options. Also you can add grizzly bears and giant spiders to your list, but there are just 2 spiders in the forest, and about same amount of grizzlies, so they don't really help.

You should keep taming brown bears, cougars, grey wolves and panthers. While other animals you used in Phase 1 can be tamed for a gain too, chances are too low to care. Stick to great harts and snakes mostly. While in forest, keep at least 1 grizzly with you to kill other animals after releasing them. And keep lying that you'll take good care of them...

Phase 3
    After a lot of suffering in phase 2, this part will be really easy since you can tame greater mongbats. There is a point that will speed up your progress, 77.1 will allow to tame giant toad in sewers, once there, go and tame those too for some fast gains. Our target here is 83.1 OR 85.5. I'll explain difference later.

So, about phase 3, we'll tame mongbats. But not just any mongbats, i have a plan for you. You'll need to get to Ocllo dungeon.
    [​IMG]
    Large red circle is an entrance to sewers from Ocllo near Bard Academy (or something like this) in northern Ocllo. Small red circle is an entrance to sewers. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Take those stairs on the left to get inside the dungeon. Once there, there is one possible way unless you teleport, but i'll give you a map just in case:
    [​IMG]
    There you'll find 2 gazers, some giant rats, and 5 mongbats. Wait, mongbats, not greater mongbats? Yes, that's right. While those have their names "a mongbat", but in fact they are greater version and have taming requirement 71.1. Also, gazers will help you to take care of tamed ones, and those mongbats have very fast respawn. Just camp there until you hit at least 77.1. In fact, you can sit there all the way to 100, if you wish. It's almost same way people usually take with bulls. But i want to offer you a faster way.

Once you're 77.1, go tame some giant toads just for a change and some really fast&easy gains, once you're out of toads get back to mongbats and get to at least 83.1.

Now, this difference between 83.1 and 85.5. You see, while young you have a great opportunity to safely tame unsafe creatures. And we have an imps and hell hounds right here in Ocllo. They have highest animal taming requirement after top-3 tamer weapons Dragon-Nightmare-White Wyrm, and a little behind a hellcat. While hellcat is very unfriendly creature who lives in very unfriendly place, imps and hounds lives in Ocllo mage tower basement. To tame imps you need 83.1 taming, for hounds it's 85.5. Since you'll have a lot failures while taming your first imp, you have a good chance to gain all the way to 88 (like i did) from just 1 imp before it will be tamed, and you'll be able to start working with hounds too. But there is a chance you'll tame both imps really fast, and in this case, you'll have to return to mongbats. So it's your choice, but in my opinion just go to imps at 83.1, start taming and hope for failures and gains.

Phase 4
    I hope you already know how to use your map.
    [​IMG]
    Here is an entrance to mage tower basement, red circle on map, this hole in the wall is the entrance. Get there, go straight and take stairs down to next area.
    [​IMG]
    Here we are. After you enter basement via stairs, take a road down (western side). Red circle on the map marks an area with imps and hell hounds.

And this area will be your home until Grandmaster Animal Tamer. Imps and hounds tend to respawn fast, also there is a room full of cultists who can take care of tamed animals. Usually there are 2 Imps and 4 hell hounds, that makes to full 8 control slots (imp takes 2), just be careful and make sure your pet will not kll something you were going to tame.

You'll get to 95 really fast. You'll know pain while getting to 98. And you'll know real suffering 98 to GM. Last time i spent 6 hours to gain 96.4 to 96.5. And 96.5 to 97.2 in 15 minutes right after that gain. RNG, you know.

Once you'll get to 95 you'll tame faster than respawn. And it can be good idea to go and tame some giant toads between respawns. Also, it's a good chance to tame some rares, like rattlesnake, hypno toad, flying monkey and sewer rat, you can meet all of them in sewers. Also, imps and hounds drop nice amount of money. Imps also drop magic scrolls, while hounds drop 5 sulfurous ashes. So you'll get some money of it, i've got around 80-100k once i got to GM from those critters.

And that's all, now you're GM Tamer. Drop your young status and go tame that mare. Good luck!
  14. Milamber

Milamber New Member

Hey thanks for all of this, up through phase 3 worked great. Unfortunately, I can report that phase 4 no longer works. The hell-hounds and imps in that entire mage basement now say "That creature cannot be tamed." Currently @ 85.5.
  15. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

This sounds awful. Do the “Mostly AFK guide” instead. It’s hella easier and faster. You can do far more productive things with your young status.
  16. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I cam getting that the Imps and Hell Hounds are no longer tameable there? was this changes since april?
  17. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

alot of this is great info, dm me if you like a few tips Einar_12-31_02.28.jpg