Shard Advertising - How to help players find Renaissance

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Now that we have been going smoothly for 6 months, made it through a beta phase, land rush, 28 patches, and over 50,000 lines of custom coding we are firmly on the path to History Perfected.

The next step in this process is to invite new players to come experience the server we all love. This thread will cover various methods you can donate your time to help us grow.

Remember Renaissance will never accept player donations, or have a donation shop but we do ask our players to take a moment to spread the word about Renaissance.

~ Reddit ~
    What is Reddit? Reddit is a type of online community where users vote on content and discussions that are important to them. Users can create posts, links or discussions based on subjects that interest them.
    • Important Links
      Currently there are two Ultima Online sub reddits or groups.
    • Other Sub Reddits that you can post in to draw people to Renaissance.
    • Renaissance Players who Post on Reddit. Take a minute to upvote or even comment on the posts by your fellow players that you like.
    • Common Searches to Use
    • What can I do to help?
      • Take the time to post a blurb about Renaissance in either an existing discussion or by creating a new one. Simply post a story, a picture or a reason why you feel that players should check out our Renaissance. Include links to our website or your personal guild recruiting page. Comment on anything you like and that you think anyone else will like.
      • Simply post your personal experiences and likes, that will always go over better than spam. Of if you find a positive post by a fellow Renaissance player, post a supportive message or how you agree with their opinion.
      • Optionally you can simply look for any post or comment that is favorable to Renaissance and upvote it to make sure it stays visible and read by as many people interested in Ultima Online
        [​IMG]
    • Advertise Your Comments/Posts
      • Should you create a comment or discussion on reddit, post the link here and I will add it to our important links section for reddit. Feel free to advertise your post on the forums, forum signature and on IRC.
      • Ask guild members and other Renaissance players to support your post with comments and votes to keep it relevant.
    • How can i get started?
      Simply make an account on reddit. This is very easy and does not require an email address or verification. Just a simple captcha.
      Click here to sign up for reddit.

~ Steam ~
    Advertise to your friends what game you are playing! By adding UOR to your steam game list you friends can see that you are playing Ultima and join you playing here.
    • How to add UOR to Steam
      • 1. Open Steam
      • 2. From the top menu, select games and add Non-Steam game to my library
      • 3. Find your shortcut for razor or UO Renaissance depending on how you play
        C:\program files\razor\razor.exe or C:\program files x86\razor\razor.exe for razor
        C:\program files\Ultima Online\client_noenc.exe or C:\program files x86\Ultima Online\client_noenc.exe for Ultima without razor.
      • 4. Find the game in your game list and right click on it. Change the name of the game in the list to "Ultima Online Renaissance"
      • 5. Right click on the newly added game and choose create desktop shortcut.
      • 6. Now your friends will be able to see when you are playing UOR, like any other steam game

~ Youtube~
    How Can Youtube Bring Players to Renaissance? Millions of people watch video's online. When they watch any video about Ultima Online, it would be nice for them to see a blurb, comment or link about Renaissance.
    • Important Links
    • What can I do to help?
      • Record a video or two using razor or any video capture package and upload it to youtube. Some of our more talented players can also use the footage to create advertising videos for the shard.
        Todo: Create a guide for the best ways to record and post videos about Renaissance.
      • Optionally simply take the time to post a few comments on related videos about your experiences on Renaissance and why UO lovers should give Renaissance a chance.
        Note: This requires a gmail account, which most everyone has.
    • Advertise Your Videos
      • Should you upload a video about Renaissance to Youtube or start a comment discussion on a related video post a link here so we can include it in this post.
      • Ask guild members and other Renaissance players to support your post with comments and votes to keep it relevant.
      • How can i get started?
        Simply make an account on youtube. This requires a gmail account which most everyone has.
        Click here to sign up for youtube.
    • Have Video Editing Skills?
      • Get with the staff if you are interested in donating some video editing/compilation skills. Any Help in this area is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with a special forum badge and character profile addition.

~ Gaming Websites & Blogs~
    How can this help Bring Players to Renaissance? Simply stop by one of the links listed below, and post a comment, start a thread or tell a story about your time and experiences on UO Renaissance. By spreading the word about the server. Make sure to include links to our server, when relevant in your posts.

~ Advertising Resources ~
    Below you will find some common statements that you can use to help advertising the server in various locations. Remember personal stories are always preferred over simply copy paste statements.

• "Hey do you guys remember Ultima Online, the first real graphic MMO? There's a kickass new free server designed around the best aspects of the game, before EA made a mess of things. UO:Renaissance is bound to be the future of UO. So if you're looking to relive the good times from back then, or just want to play the greatest free-form MMORPG ever made, check this out: http://uorenaissance.com

Great gameplay backed up by extensive website data about the live game world makes this server truly the best. Roleplaying, player versus player, crafting, dungeon crawling, the possibilities are virtually endless. Check us out today for a truly free (no buying your way to the top) gaming experience."
    • UO Renaissance Intro Video Link - http://vimeo.com/58685757
    mojo likes this.
  2. Gharik

Gharik Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Re: Shard Advertising - How to Invite New Players to Renaiss

If you're looking for a decent guide on "How to YouTube" and/or video editing, My advice is to check out a guy named Trendkillv01 on YouTube. He has a 5 video tutorial giving some solid advise on how to YouTube. Some of the videos may focus on console gaming for YouTube, but the majority is useful even for our needs.

Just pick through the videos to find what you need most.

Here are the links:

Video 1
    Video 2
    Video 3
    Video 4
    Video 5
  3. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

4. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

Nice video Potatoe. We need more of this stuff!
  5. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Help Promote UOR! Subscribe to the youtube channel, view/like/favorite/comment all the videos, bring new players to UOR! http://www.youtube.com/user/uorenaissance
  6. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

Working on the face book page and would like your youtube/screen shots to post :geek:

either post here, pm me or irc

Cheers

Samo

https://www.facebook.com/UltimaOnlineRenaissance
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

8. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I also have been lobbying my old OSI gaming friends to play UOR. Two found it on their own and another recently started playing.
    4 others are playing on different UO servers (2 free servers, 1 pay one). I made a post on our guild UO board to hopefully pull some of my old OSI friend's here:

Subject:
    If playing UO, here is why you should play UO Renaissance

The server is basically UOR without Trammel with fixes and balancing to make it a more enjoyable experience. "History Perfected"

There is custom content and additions that are really cool. Fishing has been expanded big time. There are bosses and champs. The GMs are very involved and hold great events, whether it's CTF matches or week long holiday events.

The website has tons of info and is a great resource. Hands down, it is the best UO website ever. There is tons of info on the forums including a great guides section to help build your character and/or train. And... there are lots of people on IRC that will answer questions/help you out. The community is outstanding!

I have been playing since beta and am fairly established. I will help you get started, train, loan you a house, etc.. etc.

It is the best UO experience I've ever had, plus it's free! They accept donations but not necessary - all proceeds go to advertising the server(on Google, etc).

I highly encourage you to check it out.
    I am Zyler on IRC if you do.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Looks good Zyler!!

The only thing I'd add is:
    Kochampftt likes this.
  10. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

I found this site through reddit. Truthfully I think advertising about the fact that MAC users can now play without ridiculous downloads is a huge plus for this server. Keep pushing that. Love this server.
  11. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! Make sure you come hang out in #Renaissance.
  12. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I had no idea UOR had been going for 6 months. I stumbled on it by chance, presumably as the number of hits had gone up enough. For a Mac user its a godsend.

You might explain the bit about no trammel, done by other ways. You might get more players interested. I only played on Trammel in UO.
    Maltman likes this.
  13. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I like the way some of the skills improve only slowly. Hiding is one of these. I have a character who is only at 25 in hiding. Smelting iron by a blacksmith also has a high chance of failing. There are others that have similar difficulty. This is how it should be. Well done Renaissance staff!
  14. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

The number of players online in game has gone up today to over 600, and stayed there all day. This is a well-run shard and discussion forum. Great stuff!
  15. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

A couple of Days go I added a new thread to playbymail.net titled Ultima Online. I mentioned UOR as one that is available to mac users and has a busy server and forum. The website is not much used now, "play by mail" is now a bit of an anachronism, but there are plenty of threads to explore.
    Basoosh likes this.
  16. Eaos

Eaos New Member

[​IMG]

I enjoy this method
    Hawkeye, Ragar, Vlar and 1 other person like this.
  17. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

18. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

If players love what is YOUR shard chip a few $ this way, as of now Telamon is still contributing to the funding of the server out of his own pocket

If you love it

SUPPORT IT !!!
    Kishember and Hawkeye like this.
  19. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I did contribute, even before I started playing - 2 x 5 dollars via papal.
    Basoosh, newme and Samorite like this.
  20. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

PaddyOBrien likes this.