Reviving discordance debate & taming alt

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dughlas, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

I have scoured the forums and wanted to revive a debate: how important is discordance/enticement?

I am in the process of converting my peace dexxer into a bard mage. I am trying to stay away from converting all the way to a tamer for fear of skill training difficulty. Some questions still exist:

1.) what is the top tier pinnacle for monsters in PvM? Bosses? Champions?
    2.) are bard mages useful in any higher end pvm fights? I changed him from a dex farmer to a mage to scale up
    3.) is disco really that important? How on earth do you macro this? I have read the forums and have a vague understanding.

I want this character to be able to PvM beyond gold farming. Should I just bite the pillow and covert him into a tamer?
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  3. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

I want a tamer, just don’t want to take months to finally be able to play one...
  4. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I don't know your online times and dedication, but if you follow the guides, you can finish your tamer in less than a week.
    One likes this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    RavenMagi likes this.
  6. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

I play for 1-2 hours daily if I am able to get it in.
  7. BlackEye

Erm, One, I did two GM tamers in 4 days. Mostly AFK. I checked their status when I could and revived/replaced them.

See, there are some tricks that aren't written in the guides. Even being in Jhelom taiming bulls isn't "being in Jhelom and taming bulls" the GOOD way. Either use herders or choose the positions wisely. You don't want to sit alone at a bull pen. You wan't other tamers on the opposite of the pen. And you should definitely prefer the North-Western pen, because the bulls tend to become stuck in the hut of the South-Eastern.

And don't waste your time with griefing wars etc. If there is too much trouble around, just skip it for a few hours. But don't be shy to grief AFK people that take good spots either. What happens in Jhelom Bull Pens stays in Jhelom Bull Pens.
    PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  8. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

What was your method?
  9. BlackEye

Above said covers the part from 71.1 to GM taming.

The part from 50 to 71.1 was done attended. I wanted to hurry up and not waste one-two days more. If you play it attended a few hours of taming are enough to get to 71.1:

Get a house or boat spot in the desert. Place the wanna-be-tamer according to the guides there with all the macros for taming snakes/scorpions and attacking them (you can find them in the guide section, for example in Mutombo's guide). Then have another toon run through the desert and attack scorpions and snakes. Lure them to your tamer, get some additional elementals or orcs too for faster killing. That's about it.

If you want to go pro and faster: Make a macro that attacks nearest gray with a hotkey, so that you only have to push that one. Be able to cure yourself from scorp poison (magic cure). Hiding helps too when luring, but isn't necessary. Tracking is overkill. Once you have lured the complete desert to your tamer, you have roughly 30-45 min before most of them respawn. Use the time for farming etc.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  10. BlackEye

11. Seba

Seba Well-Known Member

I'd say very important if wanting to kill things faster. I have discordance on three characters -- a provo mage, a swordsman/dexxer, and a tamer.

You can have up to 3 accounts here, 5 characters on each account. Why not keep both your peace dexxer and bard mage? :)

The one that requires most coordination would be champion related: the harrower. I haven't done it but there's an entire thread about it here
    Yes, they can handle pretty much everything except for some bosses like the elder wyrm.

Check out the guides section: http://uorforum.com/forums/guides.18/

Well the tamer is typically used for gold farming too. If you're just talking about wanting to kill bosses, then yes you'll want a tamer for that.
    Just my opinion here but if you want to level taming in any sort of reasonable amount of time (1-2 weeks), you should already have some characters that support this rather expensive skill. I can recall at least 7 different skills that were needed to help level my tamer mostly AFK:
    • 1 Healer, was my rogue at the time (healed tamer at Hythloth hellhounds and dragons in Wind)
    • 1 Mage bard (helped create 'wall of orcs' in Hythloth via provocation)
    • 1 Carpenter (crafted boat to use on Dagger Isle)
    • 1 Lumberjack (gather wood for boat)
    • 1 Miner (gather ingots for boat)
    • 2 Herders (herding bulls towards tamer)
    Hope this helps.. and welcome if you're new :)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  12. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

So just curious about disco...

1.) disco target creature
    2.) caste invisibility
    3.) wait 30 seconds
    4.) repeat
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

There is a significant amount of content here that can only be done by a tamer.

Make one or be left out.

Seriously consider making two at the same time at the very least or go ahead and make three one per account. Training them at the same time is significantly easier then regretting it later.

In regards to discordance,

Grab two mobs at your skill level throw them in a house, pin them in by tables, provoke them on to one another, discord hide discord … Etc.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    RavenMagi likes this.
  14. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Provo doesn't break at all when hidden. But discordance breaks after 16 seconds when line of sight (LoS) is broken which includes hiding. So if you're gonna discord something, come out of hiding after 10-15 seconds quick and hide again and it refreshes the LoS for another 16 seconds.

I love discord on my tamer but got rid of it on my provo bard. I found that monsters beating each other down at the same rate of speed is more my style than 1 demolishing the other. I guess it doesn't matter in the sense of LPH but if its gonna result in the same amount i get of gold per hour, id rather free up that skill for something more defensive or utility wise.
  15. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

So what types of skills could I do in place of discord? Hiding, lockpicking, resist, wrestling? I’m currently going with:

Magery
    Med
    Eval
    Peace
    Provo
    Music
    7th skill

What about hiding/stealth and drop peace? Maces/tactics? Lockpicking/remove trap?
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Get out there... use the character and the decision will come. You can remake your character in test center and mess around a bit too... change skills up and see what's for you prior to dedicating skill time on live.

IMO I wouldn't have peace and provo on the same char unless it was a utility 3xbard/mage.

If it was between the two, discord over peace.... then again, apples to oranges unless we completely understand your play style/content with specificity.

I think it was another post where I joked, "... lamb to slaughter"
    Heh, called it.
  17. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Pretty much what wylwrk said. I dont have a use for peace out of battle mining ore elementals, but its a great skill to start back off with in uo. And i know there have been some other vets that use it and do just fine with it as well.

Imo, you'll outgrow peace, but start off with it. Remove trap i think only has significant use in factions, but maybe someone can argue that.

This is a good guide for getting back into the groove of things:

http://uorforum.com/threads/the-peacemaking-dexxer-and-you-a-guide.2897/
  18. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I have a disco tamer that just follows me around with dragons and using discordance. It's great. 10/10 would recommend.

champions. the harrower on the tippy top. below that would be high end bosses like the elder wyrm or purveyor of darkness or azure dragon.

i ALWAYS bring my disco tamer with me to kill high end boss stuff. this doesn't apply to the harrower or champions. provo tamers are best there.

disco shaves a TON of time off kills. it also lowers damage output, swing speed, hit %, and every major category for mobs. it's easyish to macro. the guides are correct. just hide between discos.

if you're looking to do champs, the meta is tamers. i'm not sure about convert, as i'd want to start a tamer at 50 taming.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  19. JCap5000

JCap5000 Member

What would 'utility 3X bard/mage' mean or look like? What would the utility be or is there a bonus.
  20. JCap5000

JCap5000 Member

Do you get a bonus for having all 4 bard skills on same toon? I am also considering adding disco rn for the first time. I haven't made my tamer yet so my main is all 4 mage skills provo music and hiding. I am considering dropping eval intel, resists or hiding for disco...and maybe peace as well (though I don't think I would use peace much other than to get a bonus).

I like having hiding because it not only lets me keep an eye out for PKs, but can get a monster off me in place of peacemaking. What do you think? Drop resist or eval intel or hiding and add both disco and peacemaking or only disco?