UO:R Lockpicking Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by HateCrime, Sep 3, 2012.

1. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

First off, you'll need a 30/30 tinker box - 30 tinkering and 30 carpentry. A 50/50 tinker box and a GM made tinker box. You'll need about 500 lockpicks to get to 95.0 shown skill, from that point onward you won't need to buy in bulk. Just buy from the provisioner as you go.

0 - 30 Buy from NPC
    30 - 50 Use a 30/30 tinker box (create a new char with 30 tinker/30 carp)
    50 - 76 Use a 50/50 tinker box (create a new char with 50 tinker/50 carp)
    Confirmation needed 76 skill is the change over. It will be obvious, just switch to GM box as soon as you possibly can.
    76 - 95 Use a GM tinker box
    95 - GM. Level 4 dungeon chests

Using a single box, use a macro like this for 0-95.0:

Double Click (lockpicks)
    Wait for Target
    Absolute Target (your box)
    Pause 4.00 second
    If (SysMessage "yields")
    Double Click (key)
    Wait for Target
    Pause 1.00 second
    End If

It is a good idea to keep your dex at 10 until you reach 95.0 (shown) lockpicking, as it will shave .2 from what you have to manually gain later if you macroed with 25 dex. The amount of work you will have to put in from 95 - GM lockpicking is enormous and requires a lot of patience. You will, however, make a small fortune along the way and get plenty of nice jewelery. A small trick I've learned, is that completely emptying a chest will make it decay faster, allowing a new one to spawn sooner.

So far I am not sure where the level 4 chests are spawned on UO:R If somebody would like to post screenshots and information on the location as you find them in this thread I would appreciate it and will add them under this original post for everyone to see.
    Kiryana and Gozinya like this.
  2. nightshark

nightshark Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Where's my credit :p
  3. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

^^ Here is the man who wrote most of this guide! Taught me everything I know about lockpicking! *claps* :mrgreen:
  4. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

i believe 70.0 is the change over skill needed for gm boxes. I made the switch at 70.0.
  5. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

I stopped getting any gains at 76.0 shown skill, and switched to a GM tinkered box
  6. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Wonder if this has changed? I could not use the GM box at 73.0 skill as of last night. I didn't think to try again until 76.0 and it of course worked. Not sure if there's much advantage to switching earlier anyways. It may be slightly faster, but you'll go through more picks.

I'm not sure this macro works anymore, either. Whenever I tried the "IF SYSMESSAGE = YIELDS" line, Razor wouldn't pick it up. I'm guessing this is because the success text now appears above the box you are lockpicking, and not in the normal system journal.

However, the message "That does not appear to be locked" still appears in the normal system journal, if you attempt to pick an unlocked box. So I've been using this instead:

Double Click (lockpicks)
    Wait for Target
    Pause .10 second
    If (SysMessage "appear")
    Double Click (key)
    Wait for Target
    Pause .10 second
    Else
    Pause 4.50 second
    End If
    Goon Kyle likes this.
  8. Aegis

Aegis Member

I think the skill quoted is REAL, and not the DISPLAYED one.
  9. qbradq

qbradq Member

The sysmessage bit does still work, or at least it did last week :D
  10. Basoosh

Huh, wonder what I was doing wrong then. (Perhaps spelling error on 'yields'?)
  11. Basoosh

Since patch 39, sounds like you can no longer jump from a 50 tinker box to a GM tinker box. So need to get something in-between to bridge the gap.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Correct. A 50/50 box will take you to 76 skill. There you can either use an intermidate box (70/70 or something around that) or raise Detect Hidden 12 points. This will allow you to go from 50/50 to GM/GM. It is VERY important that you raise Detect Hidden AFTER you get to 76 skill using a 50/50 box AND that you drop DH again to 0 before you finish training your lockpicking, otherwise you'll end up with a low real lockpicking.
  13. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I bought detect hidden to help me get ti 99.0 and now I am stuck. Should I drop detect to zero to get the last 10 gains?
    xenmordoc likes this.
  14. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Yeah lockpick has been a little wonky since they changed it to real instead of shown. I tried getting people to post in bug suggestion but no one listened. I would try dropping detect, its almost like you have to dance around with DH just to step up to the gm box from a 50, then drop it later when you are trying to gm it.
  15. Basoosh

Man, I'm totally confused now. I thought GM detect hidden just gave a flat +5.0 to your shown lockpicking skill. Lockpicking works off of real skill instead of shown, though?

So example: lets say my lockpicker has 95.0 shown lockpicking and 94.5 real lockpicking. He has 100.0 Detect Hidden as well. Can I successfully pick a level 5 treasure map chest with that setup?
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Apparently, yes.
  17. Crazie

Crazie New Member

I got to 71.6 show real skill from a 50/50 box or 76 shown if that helps.
  18. Basoosh

Tried this over the weekend - this scenario does NOT allow you to pick level 5 treasure map chests. You need 95.0 REAL lockpicking + 100.0 Detect Hidden.
  19. DerGrifter

DerGrifter New Member

So i have gotten my lockpicking to 68.0 real with a 50/50 box and it wont go higher but i am unable to even attempt a gm box. help?
  20. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Raise DH something like 12 points, then drop it back to 0 once you get 4 points in lockpicking