Struggle of Mars ~ A Vigilant Tale~

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Jupiter, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

The sound of metal clashing on metal echoed in the enclosed mountain valley. A lone man stood in the midst of a horde of the most ungodly creatures. Holding his enormous shield he deftly parried their continuous clamored attacks and each time returning a blow that laid another of the plagued creatures to the ground. To an objective observer it might almost appear a simple exercise routine - the warrior blocked, squatted, and lept up with a striking blow repeated over and over. Few, if any, of his assailants' oozing hands could find their way passed his methodical motions.

Atop the stone watch tower where he had fled for safety, Catalin stared in amazement as the warrior continued without staggering for nigh close to a quarter of the day's third watch. When finally it seemed as though the warrior had worn the rotted corpses so thin that they began to disperse the inevitable happened; with a pit in his stomach Catalin watched the champion falter only slightly and then he took a knee, seemingly exhausted. Then Catalin noticed that the horde was not dispersing for safety, but rather opening the line of sight for a decrepit corpse holding a staff of wood that appeared to be black add the evil night. With a terrible cackle the corrupted lich lifted the staff and shook it in a zig zag like a baby with a rattle. Bolts of power shot forth and exploded at the warrior's chest knocking him backwards and down to the ground. With a valiant cry he raised his shield in a vain attempt to parry the next blast. The following bolt exploded against his shield and sent it flying far off over his head and yet another blast in quick succession disarmed him of his war ax which gleamed as it spun through the air.

Catalin lept from the short tower and rolled after a painful crunch when he hit the grass. He lifted his bow and took aim, but then lowered it again and cursed. He did not yet trust his aim and feared he might hit the warrior instead of the wretch. "Have courage!," Catalin shouted grasping for any ideas to help him. With a visible sigh the warrior slunk his head over his shoulders and met Catalin's eyes, then looked to his ax which had stuck blade-first just a few yards away. He then tapped a yellow jar hanging from his belt.

Courage surged in Catalin's heart, the champion had not come prepared to die but to win the day! Catalin sprang into action and shot a few arrows to distract the lich just long enough for the contents of the yellow jar to take effect on the warrior's body. Then he ran to the warrior's ax. But his sudden bursts of movement had attracted the attention of more than just the lich; he now had a herd of plagued rat men quickly on his heels.

Without breaking stride Catalin stooped towards the ax and grasped it as he ran by. Then with a quick shimmy he spun on the ball of his foot and ran straight towards the Horde crying his battle cry "SUFLARE VITALE!"

He kept a decent stride at first, but as their diseased claws dug into his skin he stumbled. He staggered a few more valiant paces and then, with what he counted as his final breathe, he flung the mighty ax. He fell to the ground and as he slipped into unconsciousness he thought he felt the earth shake when the warrior's hand seized upon his weapon and with gravitational forced smashed the ax into the ground, knocking down every foe in his immediate vicinity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he stirred to consciousness, he felt a comfort he had not known for a long time- he felt as though he was wrapped in a cloud. His eyes groggily came into focus and he found he was resting in a sturdy bed, the headboard was adorned with an apple-shaped gem at either post.

"Ah the sleepy head awakes!," Catalin winced when he started to rise, but the stern voice continued "no, need rise with haste you are in safe company here, Catalin of Paws."

He turned to face the voice and found the warrior from his dream. "I.. I know you. I had the strangest dream that you were fighting off a horde of the most diabolical creatures. Who are you?"

The man finally introduced himself, "I am called Mars and that was no dream. I might add that your foolish stunt has made quite the stir," mars paused as if unsure the news he was about to share was good, "The chiefs of my company have decreed that you shall receive training in our halls of vigilance. And I shall be your voucher. I warn you though, few who choose the warrior's way live to see the fruits of their toils."

"What hopes does one have to freely choose what they do with their lives when good men do nothing in the face such evil?"

"Very well," Mars conceded, "I guess I should expect nothing less from the man whose sheer will is the only reason I still stand."
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That, my friend, was a good day!!

You know the Company is always at your service shall we be needed.
    Jupiter likes this.