Stealth RP toon question

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Cretoma, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

Hello, everyone!

Help!!! I have a question about this guy: http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/2720443

Obviously, he is not done training. Two years ago, I made this guy, thinking he would be a good tmapper/dungeon picker, possibly even getting into the spawnable rares gig. The more I play him, the more I wonder if I’m trying to do too much with him. I enjoy the ability to recall deep into a dungeon with nothing but a few picks, a rune, and a recall scroll; stealth around; avoiding mobs; picking chests; and getting out. The provo is really for when SHTF. To be honest, I’ve not done many t-maps with him. When I try to go to the few spawnable rares locations I know, they’re not there.

Am I trying to do too much with one toon? Do I need to add stealing and detect hidden to this guy? Or should I try to raise up another lockpicker?
  2. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

My very, very first toon here was a stealth dungeon crawler with:

Hiding
    Stealth
    Magery
    Med
    Lockpicking
    Detect hidden
    Item ID.

And that toon made me millions.
    I had a gate pen in my house with runebooks to different dungeon chest locations. I’d pop a gate, hide, stealth to the chest, pick it, pop it, loot it then recall back (later on I added another toon to recast gate that I’d stealth back through) He also ran a reveal and ban macro incase of hoppers. Organiser agent to sort out the loot into secure containers, gold pile to drop the gold on.

Lockpicking is a bitch of a skill to train, so I’d say yes, you are trying to do to much with that toon and would suggest the same template And set up I had. It’s a lot of fun. I’d put carto on another toon entirely and drag this dude along for the looting.

And for real, this toon can make you a LOT of money, IF you’re dry looting the ID’d chess and have sell agents for everything to sell the useless shit weapons to NPC’s, the jewels to the jewellers and everything else you have which is what I did.

Good luck my dude!
    Kiryana and Cretoma like this.
  3. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

Nice template! That is what I had in mind when I made him. Then I decided to change it up to try to cover all my bases. It appears that I wound up not specializing enough. I’ll be dropping provo. I have a GM item ID toon on my fisherman, so I don’t really need to have it on this guy. Would it make sense to add stealing in order to get the spawnable rares? At this point, I do not have interest in stealing from pc’s. I just want to start gathering the rares.
    One likes this.
  4. Earsnot

Totally, you can do all the work you need to do in the shadows!
    I had ID for the chests so I knew if there was any immediate keepers in there.
    I think adding stealing in lieu of ID is a smart move. Super easy to macro up afk too.
    You could always leave your fisherman dry docked ID’ing the container you dump your loot in!
    Cretoma likes this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Cretoma likes this.
  6. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

A whole new game mechanic I have never even considered!
    One likes this.
  7. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

Would this template be good for Ironman amib?
  8. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

I am now stuck at 96 lockpicking. Someone told me that detect hidden is the problem and that I need to drop it. I considered picking up cartography to do t-maps. Someone else suggested dropping stealing for item ID. This leaves me with 3 questions:
    1) Is Detect Hidden preventing me from gaining Lockpicking?
    2) If so, am I correct in thing king that dropping it for Cartography would be ideal?
    3) Is it that difficult to try to get into the rares game, making my reason for picking up stealing null and void? I heard that there are players that still camp the spawn locations.
  9. theMurphy

theMurphy New Member

You have to do dungeon chests to get past 96.
    Also don't you need LP to open carto dug up chests?
    Don't know about rares I been thinking of stealing for those also.
    This was April did you find out or make a decsion on dropping LP?
  10. FatMagic

FatMagic Member

@Earsnot - Hey Ear, I'm necroing an old thread while digging around the guides. I haven't played in years. I'm very curious about this Stealth Dungeon Crawler build and how it works. I currently have a pure Thief character that I'm considering pivoting to this sort of work. Never done the dungeon stealthing, but it looks/sounds like a fun PvM activity.

My Thief build is this: 6x - Hiding, Stealing, Stealth, Detecting Hidden, Tracking, Snooping - and then 50 Magery and Resist.

I really do like having a Pure Thief, so maybe I'll roll another character for this. Few questions if you don't mind.

- Did you GM Magery?
    - Were certain dungeons better than others for chest loot? Or is all randomized?
    - Did you sell everything to vendors to make your cash? Or sell some of it to players for make more GP and maximize profits?
    - What was the basic method for doing a run? Would love to see a basic "To Do / Not To Do" (since I've never done it before).

Sorry for all the questions - would love to hear your experience with it. Thx!
    Earsnot likes this.
  11. Earsnot

I did. I had too. Gotta see that 700 stack boyyyyyy.

For chest loot - no - it’s randomised. For drama, yea I swerved blood elementals when I wanted to do a quick safe run, too much heat there, I thank @merlin8666 for that.

All NPC vendors. The less players involved in a money making scheme the better. The Notorious BIG said “bad boys move in silence and violence” and I pray at that church on Sundays so....

ACCOUNT 1:

Get naked.

This isn’t a fashion show darling.

That way if you drop out of hiding because you double stepped and someone see’s you they’re gonna go “oh it’s a naked lock picker” and that’s probably gonna be it.

If you’re in a dungeon farming and some neon glowing, anni draped, steezy, STEEEEEZY mother fucker pops up out of nowhere on an ethie. Looking like a god damn snack....it doesn’t matter if they’re blue you should definitely immediately attack them if you don’t know them because that’s what they’re about to do to you because this place is ssssssssnnnnnnnakey.

That’s why you’re naked.

Anyway, have a restock agent set up in your gate pen for regs 1 pouch, and lockpicks.

Hit that, take 30 of each reg incase you get into it and for some dumb reason decide you’ve totally got this barefoot brawl against a tripple boxer or you want to stone wall an asshole because it’s funny as fuck when you drop a good stonewall.

ACCOUNT 2:

Get yo fine ass in that gate pen you gate and ban bot.

Guess what he does?

Gates to the location you want in your level 4 runebook - THEN - Clicks house sign, permanently ban, target grey/red tick for loop.

ACCOUNT 1:

Be hidden before you start your gate and ban bot, once the gates up, double click to enter (macro this to a key for fucks sake - double click, target by type)

Some chests are static, as in they’re always in the same spot. You can mark right next to it. But don’t. This isn’t a speed run. This is a money making scheme, put the work in to get paid. If there’s action there, bounce if you want, no judgement. Or don’t, I don’t care. Stealth over to your chest, take your time, run your lockpicking macro. Once you’ve unlocked it take 2 steps back. (Someone fact check me on that I’m high and watching grand designs right now) double click the chest and the booby trap go clap, 0 damage to you. Stealth back over, run your dry loot restock agent which is a real dick to initially make make but I never found a quick way of doing it, just target everything when you first start doing this in a restock agent, after a week or so you’ll have absolutely everything that ever spawns in the chests in the agent. Once it’s dry looted and in your restock pouch.......

ACCOUNT 2:

GET YO BOYYY! Cast the gate to the location account 1 is at.

ACCOUNT 1:

Stealth yourself to the gate hit your enter macro key, dispel the gate and hit your ban macro too a few times incase @BlackEye started playing again. ID pouch, run organiser agent from it to your chests, if you want, sometimes I did sometimes I didn’t. Dump your loot, restock regs and picks then go to the next spot.

Do a round of your dungeon chests then go back, grab all your weapons, get account 2 gating to your NPC armourers and run sell macros that’s are also a shit show to initially set up.

I like it when I hit that sell agent macro key and the sound goes kaching, kaching, kaching, kaching, kaching, because that’s 2.5k and that’s just in lame leather magic armour. You’ve got chests full of more shit at home and that was just one single run of the day.

You could totally nerd out and make magic armour sets and sell them for more but time is money dammit. And for real at the end of the day magic armour isn’t shit to a total loser tripple boxing in PVP.

Rinse and repeat that process with all the different shit, the potions, the gems, the weapons.

I honestly could of made so much more from the maps too but I think I still have every single one I’ve ever pulled in overclocked chests in my fort because I’m a horrible person like that.

I still don’t understand the cartography system on UO and I don’t care who knows that.

No.
    Venger and FatMagic like this.
  12. FatMagic

FatMagic Member

@Earsnot You are a legend! Killer write up. I am happy to just vendor all the loot. Easier for me. Will have to get my house set back up and going again...

Also, can you explain "gate pen" - I don't fully understand that. I'm assuming it's a locked off area within your house where you gate to/from, and if someone sneaks through the gate, they are stuck in the pen until you reveal & ban them?
  13. Earsnot

For sure, yes. That’s correct, it’s a one way trap normally made from tables and a stool that you can lower and raise with a deco tool. You can get mad elaborate with it if you want but the safest way of doing it is to do it in a bigger house (bigger the better) and to have a third account toon in a separate room entirely running your ban bot loop. Big houses are better because if you’re doing it ground floor near a wall you leave yourself open to fuckery from outsiders.

If you’re running the ban bot on 2 accounts while dungeon picking with the third if someone stealths your gate as you’re entering the dungeon they’ll land in a single tile pen, with no gate back out (because you’ve dispelled it once your dungeon pickers through) - they’ll be revealed by one of your two toons and banned by one of your two toons. If they manage to somehow evade that and start attacking the gate toon and kill him before you banned them, because you messed up, shit happens, theyre still stuck in a gate pen and the third toon in a separate room can still ban them without risking being killed. This never happened to me but that’s because I expected it too and made this as watertight as I could.

Also, forgot to mention, all the restock chests and loot dump chests gotta be secure. If they’re not you run the risk of getting them looted dry in the event of a security breach.
    FatMagic likes this.
  14. FatMagic

FatMagic Member

@Earsnot Killer! I'll probably drop you a few more questions as I start going down this route. Thanks for the high level of detail... extremely insightful. I will most likely have questions about the dispel/ban macros and how to set those up.
  15. FatMagic

FatMagic Member

@Earsnot - What was your stat balance on this toon? STR/INT/DEX? Thx.
  16. Earsnot

90 STR
    90 INT
    45 DEX

And I’d use a wizards hat (blessed) to jumble them or pots or bless myself depending on the situation. You can also get some boots of the rogue to give you some extra stealth steps but they’re ugly and I never owned a pair.
  17. Mino

Mino Active Member

Stealth safecracker:

GM LockPicking
    GM Detect Hidden
    GM Remove Traps
    GM Hiding
    GM Stealth
    GM Magery
    GM Stealing (rares, NPCs, monsters, or if join the guild; players)

Bonus: Boots of the rogue for +2 steps.

GM Magery with GM med then drop it later.

I used 50 med 50 DH (requirement for Remove Traps) before, might be more to your taste but hear this: You can reveal a good zone with GM, and if you have scouts around, monsters around willl attack them after reveal, getting away from your waypoint.

Additional income: You can ironman AMiBs with this build. I did all and got my trophy. Payout will be less but, doable still. You can reveal hidden ghost mobs with Detect Hidden.
    FatMagic and Earsnot like this.
  18. FatMagic

FatMagic Member

@Mino Hey awesome thanks for your comments on this. Few questions for you.

- What stats did you use for your build?
    - I personally like GM Detect Hidden, would go with that.
    - So dropping GM Med is OK for this build then? I was thinking of adding Remove Traps - is that worth using? Earsnot was mentioning up above that you can lockpick the chest, take two steps back, and then double click the chest and it will go "boom" without damage to you (he couldn't remember if this was true or not).

Thx Mino
  19. Mino

Mino Active Member

I try to be as stealthy as I can, I use 100/30/95, You can go with 100 25 100, I only gate occasionally and by then usually it's already filled. Recalling is easy. It's not a combat toon by any means so if theheat is too much (Reds, high level mobs) recall away. Use magic reflect when you go on a run.

You don't need remove traps for solely dungeon picking, you can get away with distance trick, but on AMiBs, damage is higher and you can't get away with it. Telekinesis reveals you and that kinda defats the purpose.

Another friend and I worked on remove trap training and got good ideas out of it, usually you can grind it to 95 easily, the rest needs higher chest levels (4 and above).
  20. FatMagic

FatMagic Member

@Mino Awesome, thank you for this. Do you just recall into the dungeon, and then hide, pick the chest, open it, and then recall out? No problem with the high level mobs interrupting your recalls at all?

@Earsnot How do you build a gate pen? What's the requirements to be sure the person jumping through your gate can't get into the rest of the house? Just a bunch of tables around a central point? Like 8 tables around all an open space locked down? Thx for advice.