Is it OK?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by JohnM, Nov 8, 2017.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

To block off areas of the game for your own personal use.

There are a couple of areas that people have blocked off with boats. Is this OK to do? My personal opinion is that it is not OK.

thoughts?
  2. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

IMO, okay as long it's not blocking core functionality of the game. If it's space in no-mans-land that everybody had access to previously, then it's similar to a landrush and someone got the spot first.
  3. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

boats and houses have to be refreshed, so yes.
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

That's all there is to it really... opinions.

If a set of players decided to take shifts and fight everyone 24/7 from ... bloods or w/e wouldn't that be oka... oh wait, that'd be attended gameplay. Nevermind that... dunno what I was thinking there.

Anyway...

Think of your question more like bringing up politics at a wake.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Orion GM BD and Cheapsuit like this.
  5. Eugen

Eugen Active Member

It was, it is and it will be ok.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

7. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  8. BlackEye

I am willing to give mine up for the better of the Shard. In exchange for a unique uber-rare per boat, naturally. I think 4-story statues would be a great start. :eek::mad::eek::oops::cool::cool::cool:
    One likes this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. BlackEye

Five! No, that would look greedy!
    Pulse likes this.
  11. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

I think the issue is how much is too much. - I am not hurt by it, I can find another area to boat mine, but when I can't, it will be an issue.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

13. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

When you place a house, are you not blocking space for your own personal use?
  14. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

i think it's a stretch to compare this to housing. If my house blocked you from gaining access to a resource, it would be comparable.
    One likes this.
  15. BlackEye

The thing is, your access to boat mining in general isn't blocked at all. In case we are talking about the North Minoc server line seperated bays, the amount of mineable ore veins that are blocked off from boat mining is minimal. In theory, boat placement has the potential to be a big problem, but it isn't in this certain case. Nobody ever bothered to block off even 1% (my guess) of the overall mineable veins (don't forget the Lost Lands).

In the certain case of the North Minoc area: The value of the bays come from the secludedness. You can boat mine everywhere. Thus, I don't see what you would gain, when you prevent the blocking... only some more available veins.
    So, this discussion is probably more about: "I don't want that others have stuff that I can't have." Isn't it? It's more about taking away posibilities and privileges that others had to pay for in forum auctions or fought/camped for.
    LanDarr and One like this.
  16. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

If someone was to block of an area like lost hope Bay via ships or some other chokepoint, staff would remove it because it impedes travel. So, in a way , I'm not quite sure why it's okay to block off that area with ships.
    One likes this.
  17. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

It's really this point that I was working towards. the boat mining is an example and a starting point for the discussion as I happened to come across more people blocking off an area. Yes, I got what I needed mining what is still there. Funny they were not blocking off the Iron ore spawns :), so there is motive.

I have done Lost Lands mining and have not been there in a while. I would imagine that someone has blocked off areas there as well.

It's not about me not having what you have. It's about what extent will be tolerated.
  18. BlackEye

No idea what you guys are talking about. :) Which areas are blocked right now? What iron ore veins? I have never seen a big movement blocker on the open sea (didn't PFR try that and was denied this by Staff once?), neither a bigger area blocked from boat mining in Britania or in the Lost Lands. The only exception are the North Minoc bays, because they have a certain value: they can be easily blocked and are seperated by server lines. But this blockade doesn't prevent any gameplay for other players except a few ore veins. There isn't anything else inside there. It's also not deep sea, so you can't fish anything valuable or throw nets.

Like I said, in theory boat blocking could be a problem. One account could block theoretically the whole ocean. But that's not happening afaik. Hell, even notoriously blocked and camped patches of sea on other Shards, like the Buc's Den boat banking spots are free, which shows the sad state of PvPing here, I guess.
    Also, afaik as I know, during the golden times of UO on OSI, big bays, like the one necessary to access Terra Sanctum in the Lost Lands, were always blocked and hard to access. Not happening here.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I think the real question is...

Is It Good?
  20. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

It turns into this abomination

If you left your little safe haven in North Minoc, you would see. Having little value does not make it right.

upload_2017-11-9_17-6-48.png