Census: Blockers in faction bases

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Liberation, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

I have heard many complaints about candelabras being stacked on choke points in faction bases.

Should action be taken on this issue? Decay rate changed inside faction bases? Some other thing?
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I like the way they did it on OSI, blocking is allowed so long as you leave a path in/out.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I got totally slaughtered at Minax by a single tile path blocked by an axed red box full of red boxes. I think decay rate on dropped items should be 60-90s in all faction bases.
    After seeing the screenshots of that candelabra mess at CoM the other day, I barely even want to consider fighting through that bullshit.
  4. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I say decay should be 5 minutes. That way, if an item hits the ground, you're allowed more than enough time to notice it before it decays, yet 5 minutes isn't enough time for a blocker to be part of any kind of defensive strategy, unless you're going to have one person standing there moving them every couple minutes.

Is there a way they can make the decay for movement-blocking items shorter than other items?
  5. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

I don't recall this being the case, though I could simply be wrong & have no evidence to suggest otherwise.

However, on production servers in almost every serious stronghold siege that I took part in, there were always blockades arranged in order to prohibit or slow entry into the defending stronghold. Most commonly this consisted of the short candelabras (tinker crafted) as well as red boxes stacked underneath water-barrels which (at the time since there was no ctrl-shift context menu) was an impossible barricade to pass since there was (almost) no way of targeting the item to break it with an axe.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Yes, I was there for the tail end of that :p and there were only like 10 boxes, which doesn't matter.

Although we did it, I don't think in all fairness that it should continue. A 1 tile choke is extreme enough but I do think some bases, like CoM, could benefit from using candelabras tactically but without making it retarded for ever getting in or out.

The downfall is that you could essentially make a snake type gauntlet laced with traps that would make it near impossible to navigate without getting your shit pushed in.

The good thing, all you need is 1 pet and a well placed "all kill" to get all those blockables broken down.
  7. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I seem to remember things this way, although I have no proof without further research. Personally, leave things the way they are. A well timed "all kill" as you put it Cynic, will destroy any of that, and is extremely easy to do. Every single one of these topics has an easy way around it. Guards for example, you could lure them in on purpose or on accident, and easily "energy field" and then pot them to death in a matter of seconds. You just have to be prepared. Welcome to factions everyone.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Please, for the love of all things UO, stop suggesting MORE use of Tamers in factions. It's utterly retarded as it stands, please, no.
  9. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I figure one tamer for each faction is plenty, or at least one vet healer. Just for bonded mounts.
  10. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Please continue to waste ingots on candelabras or any other resource to block with. I tested something on test center that will nullify this tactic for the next battle.

Wish i would have thought of it last time.
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Blocking was a part of factions on OSI, I think it should exist here too.

Without blocking, there really isn't anything stopping someone with the proper macros and equipment from running through any number of defenders, grabbing the sig, and running out. All it takes is a bag full of red pots.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I think a summoned daemon (thing/follower) will just walk over stuff like this. I'm okay with it. It's always been an interesting way to defend (also it can be annoying as well, I admit).
  13. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This is correct, however an army of earth ele's does it better.