A little insight on lockpicking (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by FisuUO:R, May 21, 2021.

1. FisuUO:R

FisuUO:R Well-Known Member

So, lately I've been doing one of those things that make UO magic: working on useless things! - Well, not that useless, but its not meta by any means.
    I've been mapping ALL of the pickable chests at dungeons. The idea is to extend it to ALL pickable chest throughout the world.

Up to now these places have been addressed: Hytloth, Fire, Ice, Destard, Despise, Deceit, Covetous, Wrong, Shame and Terathan Keep with a total amount of 192 chests!

I have not made a super detailed analisis of loot, I only considered few things useful such as wands (gh, md, light), pots, regs (not detailed), invul armor, vanq weapons and gold. The invul and vanq weapons can as well be ignored and turned into money given their low chance. I also keep arrows and blanks scrolls but I didnt not count them. ALSO, when selling I didnt try to go for max selling price for gems and scrolls, I just sold blindly.

SO, the main goal here with all of these is to make gold! Recall through chests, pick and loot as fast as you can, sell and move on. You could also drop the loot somewhere and sell later, I find it easier to sell on the move. Having loot building up upsets me.

I built a house with runebooks for all these chests, If someone wants the rune you can ask me.

upload_2021-5-29_14-34-19.png
    A full run through all 192 chests is much faster than you probably expect. Someone with an oiled setup can work them in an hour or so. The great thing is that you can do infinite runs as chests will spawn before you end the whole run. Its dull? Maybe. Its fun? For me it is! Its profitable? You tell me:

lpchart.png

This chart accounts for just 1 run. But i've done several already and values are pretty constant!

I hope this works as motivation for some young lockpickers around there!

And I hope you enjoyed this almost useless study!
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    kremilek, Dalavar, AOٌ and 16 others like this.
  2. Blendax

Blendax Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

bookmarking this, because you are a mad genius.

Just 1 question: how many chests are there in each dungeon? that tells a story about these stats.
    Ghosted, FisuUO:R and One like this.
  3. FisuUO:R

For each dungeon would be: (They got fixed already)
    Covetous 17
    Wrong 6
    Destard 14 (Rune marked at Lvl.1-4x2 should be x4)
    Fire 16
    Ice 19
    Deceit 17
    Despise 44 (Champ rune should say x2)
    Hythloth 32
    Shame 20
    Terathan Keep 7 (rune 5 should say 5x2)

upload_2021-5-21_12-1-30.png upload_2021-5-21_12-1-42.png upload_2021-5-21_12-1-57.png upload_2021-5-21_12-2-8.png upload_2021-5-21_12-2-20.png upload_2021-5-21_12-2-31.png
    upload_2021-5-21_12-2-43.png upload_2021-5-21_12-2-55.png
    upload_2021-5-21_12-3-9.png upload_2021-5-21_12-3-20.png upload_2021-5-21_12-3-28.png upload_2021-5-21_12-3-44.png
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    kremilek, AOٌ, Lunzignanti and 2 others like this.
  4. Orion GM BD

Orion GM BD Well-Known Member

I'm also bookmarking this! @Blendax is right, you are a mad genius!

I have built 3 GM LPer's over my UO career. Mostly focusing on the level 4 chests for gains and looting all low level chest near.
    You make a lot of jack just getting to GMing, 300k+ range. After that, unless you use it to do any level maps
    or just running the lvl 4 chests to make gold, you dont really use it for anything else.
    I believe LPing is one of the most under appreciated skills in UO, but to the smart UO players, its a great income
    at low risk.

This house and all your hard work marking all the chests, allows a player with GM LP to make
    bank in a small amount of time. A player could also use this house to GM LPing as well.

@Chris @Samorite This should be added to the skills page under LPing with at least a link.

Nice work! @FisuUO:R
    Ghosted and FisuUO:R like this.
  5. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Very good info, I know people always thought my parry/dexxer/lockpicker was a bit silly... but it does make gold. One thing I always found more of then your list shows is wands. I'd get crazy amounts of wands (15-30) from just an hour of dungeon lockpicking. In any case, great data! love seeing alternate builds and play styles being used.
    Orion GM BD, Blendax and FisuUO:R like this.
  6. FisuUO:R

Thanks for feedback!
    Regarding the house, im going to move it somewhere else and go for a sandstone, so its currently not available, but will work things out durings these next days.

Thanks. Yeah, on other runs I had more luck with wands. Having the record for just one run is not accurate enough. Gold is pretty constant, but items (invul, vanq and wands) fluctuate more. Just wanted to add some info about dungeon chests and show that its fairly profitable for an alternate playstyle.

I'll be expanding the info for other chests around the world.
  7. Blendax

Blendax Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

That build actually seems like it would be quite a bit of fun when you're looking for something to do that's out of the ordinary
  8. Orion GM BD

Orion GM BD Well-Known Member

Later I got to thinking I may have jumped the gun and you may not be ready to open to others just yet.

Let me know if you need a hand or a spot, be happy to help with whatever.
  9. FisuUO:R

I moved the books to a new house and location. Its near treasure chest #4 :)
    upload_2021-5-29_14-36-10.png upload_2021-5-29_14-35-53.png
    Lunzignanti and Orion GM BD like this.
  10. Lunzignanti

Lunzignanti New Member

This is a great adventure!
    FisuUO:R likes this.
  11. wred

wred Member

Possible to get a rune, or directions to this library?
  12. FisuUO:R

Sorry for the delay! The house is NE of justice shrine, between treasure spots #3 and #4.

sand.png
    Orion GM BD and AOٌ like this.
  13. ImJoeTheJoe

ImJoeTheJoe New Member

I used to keep a dungeon chest book like this when I last played OSI. Tons of fun!

What build do you typically use with this? I always did it on my Bard/Mage THunter build. It handled the mobs pretty well while I cleaned out the chests.
  14. FisuUO:R

This is my toon for it: http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/2570377

It doesn`t deals with mobs around. Maybe for weak mobs I summon a demon and let it clean around, but mostly I just stealth and loot. When using it for tmaps I pair it with my tamer.
    Orion GM BD and ImJoeTheJoe like this.